Sexing australorp chicks

@ChickenWhisperer101 what do you think? As you said you can't sex them that way, if I end up with 3 cockerels and the faster feathering one being a pullet? Coincidence or?

The older ones are almost 6 weeks and the younger ones are almost 5 weeks
Do you have close ups of there faces? I think the second big one is a cockerel, as I see wattles, but not really sure on the rest. I do think the tail and feathering rate works on some breeds, but I don’t think australorps are one of them.

Here are the photos
They are in my bathroom overnight as the temperatures drop below 23F or -5C

This is the older splash australorp:
View attachment 2748620View attachment 2748621

This is the older blue australorp:
View attachment 2748623View attachment 2748624

This is the younger blue australorp:
View attachment 2748627View attachment 2748642

And this is the younger blue australorp who also feathered first and has a longer different tail:
View attachment 2748632View attachment 2748633

You can tell the tail is more scruffy and longer than the others, was harder talking a photo of this one

The last one is the only pullet.

Do you have close ups of there faces? I think the second big one is a cockerel, as I see wattles, but not really sure on the rest. I do think the tail and feathering rate works on some breeds, but I don’t think australorps are one of them.
Yes I couldn't find any information on female australorps feathering faster, does that mean they aren't australorps?

I will take closer ones when I bring them in soon

The older blue ones comb did start going red before the splash one. Here are the close ups
I'm guessing all 3 are cockerels except the faster feathering one. I see waddles on all of them but redder on the 3

20210706_161316.jpg 20210706_161541.jpg 20210706_161420.jpg 20210706_161517-01.jpeg

Also does it mean they aren't australorps if they can be sexed by feather growth speed?

Attachments

• 20210706_161541.jpg
    20210706_161541.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi all! I have 4 australorp chicks, 1 splash and one blue about 2 weeks old and 2 blues about a week old and was wondering if they could be sexed by their tail feathers at this age?

The 2 older ones have only now just started getting some tail feathers and one 1 week old blue already has some too so was wondering if that could be a way to sex as 1 chick got tail feathers at 1 week old and the other 2 have only got theirs at 2 weeks? The younger ones tail is also pointed more

Sorry if that's a mess, I just woke up :hmm
Hi Grace, I would be very thankful for you to post what these birds actually were..kind regards

Back
Top Bottom