Sexing bantams

ChickenDawg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
GA
I was just curious as to why most hatcheries (except mypetchicken) don't sex bantams and some of the crested breeds. Has anyone ever asked?

My impression is that they don't sex bantams because it is too rough on the smaller chicks. I don't know where I got this idea though, so it may not be true. Anyone else know?

Karen

I think that's right. Sexing is very stressful on them so would be worse for the tiny bantams. Ever see "Dity Jobs" and how they sex the little guys. Amaizing that they live through it unschathed!

Every where I have ever been has st. run bantams only. Some times it can be fun to guess who's who's. Some of my bantams I could tell by 3 weeks old but maybe I just been lucky.

I did see that particular episode of "Dirty Jobs" and the vent sexing looked like it could be kinda rough on the little guys so I can understand that. I do agree with you though chickaboo. It'll be kinda fun ordering straight run and trying to figure out who might be a roo(which I'm sure there will be plenty)
smile.png

They do sex them at mypetchicken.com I just ordered 5
jumpy.gif
ameraucana bantams. I learned that they are the only place that will sex them and i was told its just too difficult to be accurate. They however are lucky enough to have a guy who can do it. I paid extra for all girls, but its worth it. Now the waiting part.......
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom