sexing barred rocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atr04screw, Jun 22, 2011.

1. atr04screw

atr04screw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I read somewhere recently that said barred rocks could be sexed at an early age because of certain traits. Does anyone know the traits that distinguish a rooster from a hen? I have 4 barred rocks that are about 3 weeks old and they all look about the same except one. He/she is a little bigger and has alot more tail feathers that almost looks like crowning when he/she holds them up. He seems to be somewhat like a leader of the other chicks, but not really any difference. Also, I have a blue cochin the same age. Is there any traits for them to tell rooster from hen at early age? Thanks in advance.

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I believe that hens have a smaller white patch on the back of their heads.
    Males have a slightly larger patch that may extend down the neck or might be less defined.

But I don't have any BR's so I'm no expert. Others will chime in. I know they are a very popular breed.

3. foREVer

foREVer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I have noticed that the white stripes in the feathers on the males are much more vivid than on the females.

My rooster at (I am guessing) 5-6 weeks:
    [​IMG]

One of my hens at the same age:
    [​IMG]

My rooster now (15 weeks)
    [​IMG]

One of my hens now (15 weeks)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's combination of traits from hatch: head spot, leg color and down color, all taken as a whole. Yours are already past the stage of being able to go by the head spot and down color, so here is a sibling pair, first at two weeks old, then at six weeks old. Lighter one is male.

Two weeks, male on outside of door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They can be sexed fairly reliably at hatch. http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

This
    link is good for Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans and Dominiques and has very good photos.

5. atr04screw

Jun 14, 2011
    I just went and looked at them and the one I thought was a rooster is a hen I believe. She/he has a smaller white spot on top of the head and more spotted with white rather than striped. But, there is another one that has a large white spot on the head and white stripes and not spots. I guess I will just have to wait a little longer to be certain, but I hate waiting.[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

None of them should actually be "spotted". What you're probably meaning is the incomplete barring. Hatchery stock and ones hatched out of hatchery parents (like ones I posted above) have inconsistent barring so it may look spotted rather than barred.

7. atr04screw

Jun 14, 2011
    I went and snapped some photos of the suspected roo and one I think is a hen. Sorry for the crappy photos, I took them with my phone in one hand and a chicken in the other and the chickens weren't cooperating.
    Heres the suspected roo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the suspected hen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do ya'll experts think the first is a roo and 2nd is a hen? I hope so cause theres only one that looks like the first one and the others look like the 2nd. I was only wanting 1 rooster and the rest hens.

8. speckledhen

The first one is male, yes. The second is a pullet, but does she have a single comb or a rose comb? If a rose comb, she is a Dominique, not a BR.

9. atr04screw

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm not sure what a rose comb is, but I only see one comb coming up so I asume its a single comb. They all came from the same bin so I'm guessing their all BRs.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. If the second chick has a rose comb, she(he) isn't a barred rock, but a Dom. Although they've been so inter-bred.
    Side by side at 4 or 5 weeks, the difference is quite obvious, really. The roos sprout red combs and Mr T starter wattles, like brighter, bolder bars on lighter grey down.
    The females are darker and slightly less distinct barring and combs are yellow and small. The leg black streak is not as reliable, but pullets should have a water color streak of black on the front of the yellow legs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by