Sexing brahmas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hopkinshens, Mar 4, 2013.

1. hopkinshens

hopkinshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi
    I hatched these birds 2 weeks ago there dad is a bantam brahma I will post some pictures I can't determine there sex. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Hope this helps

2. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    Are all the images visable?

3. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More detailed pics of the chicks

4. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    Anyone?

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Hopkinshens!

I am not sure that I can help right now-- you may need to wait until they get to 4-6 weeks to see of any start having redder combs. For me, I like to see the chicks standing from the side so you can see all if their feathering without hands in the way, then also a straight-on headshot of the comb. For me, looking at the wings spread is not as helpful as looking at the stance and the feathering ( or lack of feathering) coming in on the wing bows and tail.

Just to clarify, are these mixed breed babies where the dad is a bantam Brahma, or are they purebred? If they are mixed breed, you will need to wait, if they are pure you may find it *slightly* easier by comparing the feathering. Boys seem to feather in more slowly than girls.

6. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    I will add more pictures like you want c

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    They definitely are too young! I agree with dretd, wait until they're 4-6 weeks and you'll have better luck sexing.

It will also help us to know where you got them.

8. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    They are the babies of my own Bantam brahma cockerel dandelion, he's roughly a year old I hatched all for myself they will be three weeks old this Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two hens and the two white ones in the next picture are the potential mothers as far as I am aware they are hybrid egg layers and bantam as they are tiny.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  9. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    Here's the other shots
    The top two have large wings shoulder feathers and small tails where as the bottom two have no shoulder feather no tails and in even wing growth they are all nearly 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hopkinshens

Mar 4, 2013
    The chicks are bigger now and still the more coloured two are growing in there feathers much faster than the lighter two does this mean I have to hens and two Roos?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by