Sexing chicks by their feet?

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
I have a question...someone I know checked my two week old chicks to sex them...she held them up by the nap of the neck and she said the ones that hold their feet down are male and if they hold their feet up they are female...I love my babies and I baby them...it terrified my chicks....is she right or was she just being mean?...It's a long story but I don't believe we are "friends" but if she's right I have three males out of six babies...thank you

I have been raising chickens for 6 years and have only heard of that a few times. I have never figured out if its true or not. as long as they are under a week old it should not hurt them because they are light, but once they gain weight it could hurt them. Good luck with your chicks and your friend!

That's one of those tales that go round and round, along with things like flipping them on their backs, scaring them, etc. They're all right 50% of the time
tongue.png

Thanks to both of you. I really didn't know and thought it might be a wifes tale. The last time she was here she was "sexing" and held one by the feet upside down and she said females won't fight...males fight like crazy....I didn't like that either. LOL Guess I won't be having any meat chickens. Oh yeah, she let me know down the road was a guy she knew that will slaughter the chickens for me...Must say I'm new to the country and new to chickens...but I love my cuties.

Back
Top Bottom