Sexing Chicks - Help!

Quote:
Eh... from what I heard/understand is that the original Araucana (ear tuffs and no tail) had a lot of cross-breeding with other kinds of chickens which causes some to have the Araucana features such as the build and colored eggs plus a bit of a tail and some feathery cheeks....the more Araucana blood in these chickens, the more pure blue the eqqs will be; and now, depending on the actual percentage of real Araucana blood...the chicks can still be called/registered as Araucanas even if they aren't 100%. Again, I am new to this chick thing. I do not know a lot about them, but this makes sense to me. I train/show/own horses and there is blending of breeds as well that count as one actual breed. For example. The American Quarter Horse, is practically the U.S's fondation breed. They are on the smaller scale, fast, stocky, and strong - very defined in their features, most registered under the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA). When Thoroughbred blood is mixed to the Quarter horse blood we get the Appendix Quarter Horse. Appendix's are great, they are pretty much like taller and leaner Quarters Horses and are still registered under the AQHA...which is fine; however, then the Appendix's are bred with more thoroughbred's until the foal is 75% Thoroughbred and only 25% Quarter Horse. This horse no longer has the Quarter Horse characteristics, but since it has the %25 QH blood, it cannot be registered under Thoroughbred registeries such as the Jockey Club...therefore it is considered a form of Appendix QH and thus can be registered under the AQHA. It's stupid - I hate it. To me it's a whole different breed and although my chicks may not be full Araucana, I feel that it goes the same way with them as it does with the Quarter Horse. Now, the lady I got my chicks from shows them all over the country at conventions and lets her children show them at local 4-H shows... I assume with that in hand, that her birds would be registered as specific breeds... I'm not saying you are wrong, because you're not...it's just the thin grey line that I'm trying to look at here.

Anyways, thank you so much for your info and the links. They really help me understand this a lot better. In all honesty, I can really care less what my chicks are. They all have their own unique personalitlies and they're just wonderful. I'm not planning to show them or anything. I'm happy with them the way they are. The only thing I am hoping for is a few hens...I just wants some eggs!
smile.png

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom