Sexing Chicks

Madam Daisy

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
I have month old chicks. There are a couple who argue like a pair of cockerels. Eye gaze, jump up to fight with feet in the air all day. Is there any chance that after behaviour that is so male you suddenly discover a girl after all? I would rehome them now unless miracles happen. As they have various mothers it is difficult to compare other traits. Also are feathered legs sex linked in any way? Both have feathers. Dad is Orpington. Than

I had a slight argument with someone today who told me it was too early (at 3 weeks today) to sex my Welsummer chick which I said from day 1 was a boy.....😂😂😂see attached picture for my argument haha! 🤣

Attachments

• 39C71DAE-558C-4550-822F-C78D99456596.jpeg
    39C71DAE-558C-4550-822F-C78D99456596.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 10
I have month old chicks. There are a couple who argue like a pair of cockerels. Eye gaze, jump up to fight with feet in the air all day. Is there any chance that after behaviour that is so male you suddenly discover a girl after all? I would rehome them now unless miracles happen. As they have various mothers it is difficult to compare other traits. Also are feathered legs sex linked in any way? Both have feathers. Dad is Orpington. Than
Do you know which mother goes with which chick?

No

If the rooster is a BUFF Orpington, then certain hens would produce chicks that are color-sexable. Photos of the chicks, or a list of hen breeds, could help here.
I had a slight argument with someone today who told me it was too early (at 3 weeks today) to sex my Welsummer chick which I said from day 1 was a boy.....😂😂😂see attached picture for my argument haha! 🤣
The ones I thought were boys behaved differently from a week old. They are now becoming men.

Back
Top Bottom