Sexing Chics

AJohle

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
Just by looking at their combs do you guys think these 3 might be boys or is it still to early to tell? I read that boys combs are bright and the girls are pale. I’m not familiar with sexing chickens yet but these look bright to me. Their 4 weeks old and their a breed mix of Americana
3A61EF6F-6890-4243-A032-CBEFDE67CE4B.jpeg
E6262B70-513D-4BE6-882E-73E6CF5B92BD.jpeg
D4BE2C0E-DADE-4EB7-8E93-C645B85E30C0.jpeg
( not sure of the spelling) and a Rhode Island Red.

The chicks are too old to be wing sexed, and a bit too young to tell from secondary sexual features what sex they are. But sometimes, when holding a male chick up to a female chick, the comb may be showing a tiny bit of pigment in the comb, either a yellowish hue or a darker pink hue compared to the girls.

By age six weeks, in standard size breeds, you may see a decidedly red development in the comb and it will also appear more developed in size. By age ten weeks, you should be able to also see sickle feathers beginning to appear in the cluster of tail feathers that point unmistakably to the chick being a cockerel.

The chicks are too old to be wing sexed, and a bit too young to tell from secondary sexual features what sex they are. But sometimes, when holding a male chick up to a female chick, the comb may be showing a tiny bit of pigment in the comb, either a yellowish hue or a darker pink hue compared to the girls.

By age six weeks, in standard size breeds, you may see a decidedly red development in the comb and it will also appear more developed in size. By age ten weeks, you should be able to also see sickle feathers beginning to appear in the cluster of tail feathers that point unmistakably to the chick being a cockerel.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom