Sexing Dark Brahmas

DoozyWombat

Songster
I and a friend shared an order of Dark Brahmas from Cackle Hatchery. Everything with the order was great, but we are trying to figure out the boys from the girls. They are almost ten weeks old at the time of these pictures.

These two (call them 1 and 2) I think are cockerels, because of the more bare and red faces. (They are also facing off a lot.)
View attachment 2189270
This one (3) I am unsure of, as it has a somewhat bare face and comb both redder and bigger than all the others (which I'm sure are pullets.) Is this just a pullet with a bigger comb, or a cockerel slow to develop?
View attachment 2189277

Here are two of the ones my friend got, hoping they were both pullets. #4:

possible_boy_cr.jpg

and #5:
possible_girl_cr.jpg

Any help appreciated.

As in, the cockerels have the white patches?

Yes they’re very splotchy. They usually have red bleed through on the wings. Whereas the pullets look pretty much exactly like number three. Like a white head and their bodies have that silver penciling. Pullets have a very consistent pattern of that gray and white, the cockerels are patchy and splotchy.

Yes they’re very splotchy. They usually have red bleed through on the wings. Whereas the pullets look pretty much exactly like number three. Like a white head and their bodies have that silver penciling. Pullets have a very consistent pattern of that gray and white, the cockerels are patchy and splotchy.

Okay, that is very helpful, and makes it much easier. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom