Sexing Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sachasmom, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    How soon can you tell sex on ducklings? I have a herd of ducklings, I'm keeping the Buffs and Cayugas, but I'd like to only keep one male and two females per breed. I'm hesitating to sell any of them, because I am sure I would sell all the girls then! But I really really don't want to feed 20 odd ducks for another three months either until I'm sure on sex! [​IMG]

They're all about two months old now and starting to feather out. I wanted to show some of them at our fair next month, only I need to enter them as the correct sex. (There is no age limit on entries) They should be almost four months at the time of the fair, will I be able to tell then? I am wondering if I can't tell, will the judge be able to?[​IMG]

So, any tips on what to look for? Size? A lot of them are big, probably means they're all boys. [​IMG]

I also have to sex the Silkies for the fair too, So far, not a clue on those either! [​IMG]

2. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    They should be old enough by now that quacking is evident. If they quack, they're female, if they have a much hoarser voice then they're male. Only way I can tell at this point [​IMG]

3. Natermotor

Natermotor In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Cecil County,MD
    The only method that is 100 percent reliable at a young age is vent sexing. By 3-4 months, the males will have a curly tail feather. Also, at about 4-6 weeks, the females start to quack, and the males make a raspy noise.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Yep, it should definately be easy to sex them by voice at this point. Pick them up one by one and walk them away from the others. If they let out a loud "QUACK!" it's a girl, if they're hoarse and quiet it's a boy. [​IMG]

5. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    OKay, then I have mostly girls, LOL Lots and lots of Quacking going on out there, there are a few that I thought sounded kinda funny, those are the boys huh? I just thought hey, some of them Quack differently! [​IMG]

Now, would someone like to come help me pick up ducks one at a time to Quack sex them? I only have 30ish to go thru, shouldn't take long if they stay still... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by