Sexing Easter Eggers

Pics
The hackle feathers look pointy in pic 2, but EE are tricky. I have one laying hen with pretty pointy hackles. I asked 3 times on here if people were sure she was a pullet. Lays a beautiful teal egg now! Lol I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you but leaning cockerel on that one.
Thanks that gives a little hope lol it's like a crazy game show pullet or not pullet! 🤣 but yeah I'm leaning cockerel too though. I've come up with boy names now too haha.

Any guesses on these two hatched EE chicks? They're just over 3 weeks old, we're thinking brown/copper is boy, and black/white we can't decide...

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_185212958.jpg
    PXL_20220410_185212958.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220410_184954515.jpg
    PXL_20220410_184954515.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220410_184939680.jpg
    PXL_20220410_184939680.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220410_184922365.jpg
    PXL_20220410_184922365.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 11
Any guesses on these two hatched EE chicks? They're just over 3 weeks old, we're thinking brown/copper is boy, and black/white we can't decide...
In another week or two we should be able to tell when the feathers are in fully.The brown guy does appear patchy, but it could just be new feather growth! Same with the other. Much easier to tell when they get their “grownup” patterns!

I'm thinking pullet for both right now but can you update with more pictures in a few weeks? Do you notice any different behavior from either or both?

I can't really tell each one apart, but I see several big, red combs. Can you number each one, so I know which are the same chickens?
Sorry, I should've been more clear. It's only the ones with red combs who are in question. The other two are definitely hens and only in the photos for comparison of the combs. There are two with red combs and two with pale combs.

Today they are 10 weeks or really close it and I could see the super glossy feathers of a cockerel coming in on both of the birds with red combs soooo I'm now convinced I ended up with two erroneously sexed by the hatchery.

Thanks for the input though. I was trying to be hopeful but All the signs are there (cockerel behaviors, combs, feathers). Now I wait for the crowing 🙄.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was trying to post other photos too but apparently only those two loaded. I will add more. These first two photos are of just one I think is a boy next to one I know is a hen. The first photo is more to show it's whole body but the lighting is bad.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. It's only the ones with red combs who are in question. The other two are definitely hens and only in the photos for comparison of the combs. There are two with red combs and two with pale combs.

Today they are 10 weeks or really close it and I could see the super glossy feathers of a cockerel coming in on both of the birds with red combs soooo I'm now convinced I ended up with two erroneously sexed by the hatchery.

Thanks for the input though. I was trying to be hopeful but All the signs are there (cockerel behaviors, combs, feathers). Now I wait for the crowing 🙄.
Yup I see the other pics now. Cockerel pattern. So sorry!

Yup I see the other pics now. Cockerel pattern. So sorry!
Thanks for the input and sympathy. I appreciate it. whomp whomp 😒. I can pick 'em lol! 😅 the flashier one is sadly gonna be our first stew bird ever. He's not friendly, never has been since we brought it home and has bent toes not crooked but actually bent! 90 degrees almost! Doesn't slow him down though. These were my first from Hoover hatchery and I'm disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom