sexing eggs?

I have a subscription through school, so this is what I got out of it:

They didn't sex them until they were 17 days. What they do is take a small amount of allantoic fluid and use a RIA (radioactive immunoassay) to determine how much estrogen and testosterone were in the sample.

It was very accurate, but it seems like it would be a technology best suited for large hatcheries.

If anyone wants a copy of the full text article, send me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Every person professionally involved in hatching has been trying to figure a way to determine the sex of a chick while it's still in the egg since the beginning of poultry keeping. No one has ever managed it short of the invasive solution that SpringChickens outlines above and I'm inclined to believe no one ever will.

Quote:
I actually read this in a book DH. The author swears that in her experience, that this is true. Apparently she actually researched this by marking the pointy eggs and when they hatched she banded the chicks legs. She says it's 98% correct. I sure hope not, I just received a shipment of eggs that are all very pointy!
lol.png

There are actually more male fertilization than female in all species I know of. More male embryos die than female embryos prior to birth leading to a slightly decreased number of male live births but there are still more males than females.

By the time male and females are sexually mature the ration is approximately 50/50.

As the years go by males die at a higher rate than females so that eventually females far out number males.

There are several reasons for the initially high ratio of males changing to a high ration of females. Essentially it boils down to two factors; 1. the y chromosone which determines male gender causes greater suseptability to genetic disease leading to higher mortality rates in males, 2. Testosterone increases risk taking behavior therefore shortening the male lifespan.

Facinating
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom