sexing Golden Lakenvelders

chickenlittle32

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Rayne Louisiana
I have noticed that my GLs have different feathering patterns...some have black heads....some have the golden heads. I can't remember which at the moment but some have less gold coming in and some have more...is this the way to feather sex them?

OK, I only know that it takes a few molts for them to get the proper belting color but not sure why they are different now and no idea if its how to sex them.
idunno.gif

I really like what I've read about them and I wonder if you can tell me your impression--are they friendly? Lakenvelders supposedly are not that friendly but Vorweks are--is that true? It seems they call Vorweks Golden lakenvelders in the US but they are truly a different breed. Would love any info you have on them!
big_smile.png

Golden lakenvelders are a work in progress. They are supposed to have black head and tail, with their body being buff-colored. Most of them are not like this. I have one pullet that is pretty good, but she has a lot of buff on the top of her head, then another pullet looks almost spangled for all the black she has on her.

Lakenvelders are a straight-combed breed, and they get pretty good-sized combs. That's how I sex them
big_smile.png

Quote:
I believe vorwerks are that bantam version of lakenvelders.
smile.png
I have one roo that is about 9 months old. He is pretty nice for the most part, and will even tolerate being held. When he first started realizing he was a rooster, he tried to challenge me a few times. He hasn't done that in quite some time though. The others I have were hen-hatched, and about the only time I ever see them is in the mornings when I feed, and in the evenings when they go to bed. They are pretty flighty. My older roo is always right on my heels, looking for treats
smile.png

I also have Golden Lakenvelders and no luck with the color determining the sex but mine at about a month old now are starting to have differences in their combs.I have some very black with minimal gold and almost all buff with little black and larger and smaller combs in both colors.Since mine are only here for fun we like the more black ones best.
They are not as friendly as some of our other breeds but not that hard to be around either..Not my shoulder roosting chicks.

Back
Top Bottom