Sexing My Button Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 3PaintedButtons, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 3PaintedButtons

3PaintedButtons Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Cape May County, NJ
    Hello, I am new to the forum and have only had my Button Quail for a couple months. The guy told me I had 2 females and a male but I'm pretty sure it was 2 males and 1 female but now I'm questioning if they are all males. Here are pictures of them any help would be great.

[​IMG]

This one developed some red on it's belly but not as much as the one in the last picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi!
    Those are some beautiful birds!
    I'm new and learning myself, so I'm not going to take a guess as to what you have. [​IMG]
    But,
    have you checked the feathers around the vent? If they are red/rust color, than that would be a male.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think boy, girl girl girl. From what I understand, the striping under the chin is a boy

4. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    True,
    The first one does have a bib. Which is a sign of male. It may also be a pearl from what I understand. When they have the white on the nose. But don't hold me to it, i'm learning. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    The first one is definitely a male (silver), the other two I'm not sure about, but one looks like a blueface male and the other a redbreasted male. But like I said, I'm not too sure, could be wrong about those two. Where are Quail Lady and shelleyd when you need them? [​IMG]

EDIT: How old are the birds, by the way?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Where are Quail Lady and shelleyd when you need them? tongue

[​IMG] Something tells me that they have a few more birds [​IMG] to take care of than us, [​IMG] and have pretty full days. [​IMG]

7. 3PaintedButtons

3PaintedButtons Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Cape May County, NJ
    Quote:I forget exactly how old the guy said they were but I think they are around 5 months now. If they crow does that mean they are a male or do the females crow too? I've seen the one in the last picture crow and the silver male not sure about the one in the second picture.

8. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    check the vent feathers if htey are a rusty red color then its a male if not its a female

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are all males. First one is a silver, second is a cinnamon blueface, last is a black-faced red breast. Pretty boys. [​IMG]

ETA:
    #1 you can see the pink colored vent feathers, indicating male
    #2 has a blue head and breast, indicating male in a blueface variety. If you check his vent feathers they'll be red too
    #3 has red on it, a lot of red. Females NEVER have red feathers, so that one's a boy too.

ETA again: Females also NEVER get blue feathers, they are pretty dull in color.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I forget exactly how old the guy said they were but I think they are around 5 months now. If they crow does that mean they are a male or do the females crow too? I've seen the one in the last picture crow and the silver male not sure about the one in the second picture.

What you're thinking of as a crow is probably the locator call (Hehehe), they are looking for a mate. Check out the stickies at the top of the Quail forum, there is a link in the thread titled "The Do's and Don'ts of Button Quail" to a youtube video that shows what a male's crow sounds like (wind blowing).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by