Sexing my chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Orpy, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

How accurate is feather sexing? - hopefully very high as I'm liking the idea I don't have too many roosters

Below - I'm guessing a female

[​IMG]

Below - Male

[​IMG]

Below - Male

[​IMG]

Below - Female

[​IMG]

Below - Female

[​IMG]

Below - Female

[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Hopefully you are right. but your females looks like they are few days older than the males.

3. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

Thanks, I hope I'm right too, then I can keep them all [​IMG]
    Chirpy and Featherless (both 'females') were the first 2 to hatch (exactly 21 days, I'm still amazed by that), all the rest were hatched by the time I looked the next morning.....I noticed Featherfoot ('male' chick) has teeny tiny wing feather compared to the rest, and Midget ('male') was the teeniest chick of them all.

4. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

Just read an article that said 'roosters' grow feathers a little slower than 'hens' - this would fit nicely in with feather sexing my chicks being that my 2 'boy' have smaller 'wings' ... i'd be sooooooooo happy if both theories are correct

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    you better mark them , like a ring on their legs, because they grow fast. Thought it will help to see if youre accurate ! Please let me know later how much they have change.

6. chas84

chas84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Centurion, South Africa
    I received four Lavender Orpington chicks today. They are four days old but I have ringed them with pink for those I think are girls and blue for the one I think is a girl. I am experimenting to see if the wing feathers as well as the legs up or down indicate their gender.

The three with the more developed wing feathers also just let their legs hang down when doing that test and the one with the shorter wing feathers pulls his legs up. So I'm hoping the tests are good and I've got three girls and a boy.

7. chas84

chas84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Centurion, South Africa
    Orpy what breed are these chicks and was the wing sexing method accurate? Only saw now this thread is almost a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by