Sexing my ducks

@cheezenkwackers
Not lock up time but the goat was singing out for me and annoying the sheep and horse so I decided to take him for a walk to find the ducks. Luckily it's a bit on the warmer side here so they haven't wandered too far.

This is my Rouen x Appleyard with her boyfriend and their first duckling (Christmas lunch sadly because of Angel wing). Boyfriend has the bright orange bill and is our purebred Indian runner
20211021_145607.jpg

20211021_145331.jpg

This is our Rouen duck
20211021_145513.jpg

Last edited:
While locking them up for the night I listened for their quacks. One was quacking and doing her head bob to my older drakes. 2 were making the same noise so I’m assuming they are both drakes. Sadly, we don’t need anymore because we have our runner drake and we’re getting a Rouen drake soon too. Hopefully the last 2 hatches for the year get some more girls. I think I did do pretty well though for 2 drakes and 2 ducks. I wonder if the one that the fox took was a boy or a girl?Hopefully not a girl. Guess we’d never know.

Yeah, when the fox took mine, it selected girls. I had too many drakes and not that I don't like them, but I kept thinking why couldn't it take one of them. Unfortunately, they no longer get to free range and are all safely locked up in the run. I created a separate space for my extra drakes and everything is going well.

Back
Top Bottom