Sexing my six week old chick

jtr38154

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2022
Hi! I'm new to the chicken game, and I've only got one chick. I can't tell what breed, but I know it's between three. The Polish, Sapphire Gem, and the Plymouth rock. I also cannot tell its' sex. It had feathers that were the same length when it was a week old, as I didn't have it when it was one to two days old to do traditional wing sexing. I'm not comfortable with vent sexing, as I have little experience with chickens, and I was just really hoping someone could help me figure any of this out. I would greatly appreciate it. Here are some photos of Honey Houdini, my mystery chick;
CHICKEN.jpeg
CHICKEN1.jpeg
CHICKEN3.jpeg

Kinda new to the sexing game myself, but giving it a go.

No waddle development, some comb development, but the black coloring is kinda throwing me off (I know red combs are more likely to be roos), no saddle feathers (but probably too young).

Caught between pullet and "too young to tell" personally. But leaning toward pullet.

We need clear pictures of its head but so far it looks like a girl. Feather sexing has to be bred for and doesn't work in 90% of chicks

We need clear pictures of its head but so far it looks like a girl. Feather sexing has to be bred for and doesn't work in 90% of chicks
Thanks so much for responding! Here's an image of her head, let me know if you need something else.
CHICKEN444.jpeg

Yes, your right about that, but they show the saddle when they dry off themself from being in the egg. It is just hard to see the saddle when they are young.

we don’t have to worry about the comb, because some pullets grow their combs bigger then the rooster. I got lots of hens like that

Also, hens usually don’t their grow gizzards until they are a little bit older.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for responding! Here's an image of her head, let me know if you need something else. View attachment 3055286
Hmm, I'm not seeing waddles but that comb is pretty prominent for this age. I'm not sure, it could be either way. Some
Yes, your right about that, but they show the saddle when they dry off themself from being in the egg. It is just hard to see the saddle when they are young.
All chickens have hackles and saddles but males don't grow in their male specific feathers until 12-14 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom