Sexing Polish Chicks -- Getting today, need help ASAP!!!!

QualityPolish

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Utah
Okay so, I've developed a small theory and it's usually what I go by when I get Polish chicks. It seems to be working well xD I just want to see if any of you have done it this way and has it been accurate.

--My situation --
I Just ordered some polish chicks from a breeder and he says he'll have them by the end of May.
barnie.gif
Thats a long time :hmm Anyways, he says I'm his first order so he'll call me in the morning to come pick them up. I get a choice of the first hatched and I'm wanting hens, only one roo. Is it true that by looking at their combs you can tell, even at just a few days old. When they're this young they barely have a comb yet but you can sort of see it forming on the edge of their beaks. Is this a roo or is it a fast growing hen?

Is there any other way to sex them? (Besides vent sexing, I don't really want to do that xD)

Last edited:
Okay, posting again since I'm getting them today.

They're 4 days old.

What should I look for in a pullet? Can you look at wings? (Never done that before, so what should I be looking for.)

Do the roo's act more dominant?

Are the hens crest's larger and more round? (This is my main question.)

Are the pullets legs more delicate?

Are the pullets usually more friendly at this young age?

Thank you in advance.

There is no good way to sex a polish chick at this point. You can't even vent sex as they are too old and it must be done within the first day or so before they eat. You can try to watch their behavior and get the more passive chicks as I've found they are usually hens. The comb size and leg size really won't be any different at this age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom