Sexing poults?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Gypsy07, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a bunch of Bronze poults, about a month old. They all look pretty much the same to me.

Some have little snood bumps that are bigger than the others' - are these ones boys?

Also I've seen one or two of them kind of puffing up at each other- holding their wings out from their body and trying to look bigger - is this boy behaviour? They were doing it to me as well, at less than a week old when I put my hand in their brooder to pet them, but I haven't seen it so much lately. Maybe it's cause they're used to me now...

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Thats what mine did when they were young being "Macho" I thought they were being cute playing. I suspected that they may be boys, sure enough they were , I had to find them homes because they were fighting with each other terribly!

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Young hens will also display. Until you can see other characteristics, don't be in too much of a hurry to detemine sex. by 10 weeks, you should have a pretty good idea of which are males and females, but it may take 14 weeks or even longer to be sure on al of them. While there is a long list of differences, one of the easiest on dark birds is the difference in breast feathers. The toms breasts will look all dark, and the hens will have noticeably lighter edges on the feathers. This may take some time to develop...be patient. It will eventually become obvious which are which.

4. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    How about a broad-breasted white turkey? Mine is about six weeks old. What should I look for to determine its gender?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by