Sexing quail and colour

Pics
My neighbor uses a funnel to hold them still. He uses a cut out plastic water bottle, puts the bird in there so that the head sticks out at the smaller end and then cuts it off quickly. I haven't tried it yet. :idunno
I’ve seen this with chickens, it seems like it makes it easier for larger birds, but quail don’t really struggle, and you don’t need to drain them very long, I feel like being held by hands they’re used to is less frightening than being stuffed in a cone and hung upside down. But bigger birds can be a real handful so getting a good quick cut is probably easier with the cones.

My quail chicks are 18 days old. Can anyone tell what theor genders might be??? IMG20200808185809.jpg IMG20200808185823.jpg IMG20200808185927.jpg IMG20200808185931.jpg

Decapitation and cervical dislocation are both acceptable, humane slaughter methods for birds, at least here in Canada. Stunning is generally required for larger animals, and for some other methods (like it should be used on geese and ducks if using the broomstick method) but birds that are being killed by chopping their heads off do not need to be stunned prior. I agree that attempting to stun a tiny bird is not going to work well with blunt force trauma, which seems to be the only option, as I’m sure none of us have the equipment to use electric stunning. Lol. I read through the entire handbook on euthanasia and humane slaughter from the CFIA prior to getting any of my animals so I was equipped to deal with it, but now I don’t know that I could kill them. Haha. We’ll see, considering I wound up with what looks to be all boys...

I hope the other one comes out to be a female, because i want a female of that colour, as i have had a golden hen(their mother) that died of no cause. I an in love with this colour. In this hatch, only these two are of this colour.

All four of my chicks are that colour (italian) and both their parents are too. I have eight italians in total.

Back
Top Bottom