Sexing Rescued Muscovy

Laurenmld

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2022
Hello All!
I am wondering if anyone can help me with identifying the sex of our rescued 10 week old muscovy. I've watched dozens of videos on it but since we don't have any other muscovies to compare him/her to, and are used to other (smaller) breeds, I don't feel confident in my assumption.
He/she is the absolute sweetest thing ever and extremely social. No hissing or huffing sounds at this point, but a lot of cooing.

Thanks very much!
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2518.jpg

Without another it can be hard. How big is the duck? The females at that age are usually still rather small. The drakes will be taller and starting to put on weight. I recently got some new muscovy for my flock. The drakes are as big and taller than my adult females and they are not fully feathered yet. While the females are smaller than all my other ducks, including my runners.

I want to say drake, just because it doesn't have that feminine look. But I could be wrong.

Hello All!
I am wondering if anyone can help me with identifying the sex of our rescued 10 week old muscovy. I've watched dozens of videos on it but since we don't have any other muscovies to compare him/her to, and are used to other (smaller) breeds, I don't feel confident in my assumption.
He/she is the absolute sweetest thing ever and extremely social. No hissing or huffing sounds at this point, but a lot of cooing.

Thanks very much!
View attachment 3163816View attachment 3163817View attachment 3163820
The cooing or trilling sound is a dead give away at that age they are a female. Mine is 3 months old for comparison and does what I call "happy chortling" I'll try to upload a video of her doing it to hopefully help further
20220615_165916.jpg

Without another it can be hard. How big is the duck? The females at that age are usually still rather small. The drakes will be taller and starting to put on weight. I recently got some new muscovy for my flock. The drakes are as big and taller than my adult females and they are not fully feathered yet. While the females are smaller than all my other ducks, including my runners.

I want to say drake, just because it doesn't have that feminine look. But I could be wrong.
Thank you for the input! He/she is about 6.5 lbs.
What behavioral differences are most noticeable to you? That may help since I don't have other to compare sizes with.

Back
Top Bottom