Sexing Salmon Faverolles at 2 weeks? *4 week pics added*

Ashley80

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
Lesmurdie, Western Australia
After a very poor hatch from some very expensive eggs I've ended up with just two Salmon Faverolle chicks. Anyone care to take a guess? They are about 13 days old now. TIA

Last edited:
It is too young to tell their gender. Once they are feathered in more, though, we should be able to tell, since Salmon Faverolles cockerels and pullets are different colors.

I was able to tell my cockerels at 3 weeks when they tend to have black splotches around the shoulders and neck. Here is th US, I have had poor hatches too, even with my own. Much less than with my other breeds. Here are 2 of mine as chicks, then later:

Yes, it is a little too young to tell gender. Post more photos when they are around 4 weeks old. However, if I was to guess at this age, I would say that at least the second bird is a pullet.

Still too early to call it I know, but we've just hit 3 weeks and I'm seeing some black in the pin feathers on the shoulders :-/

Yes, it is still too young to tell for sure. However, I'm leaning towards both being pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom