Sexing Sebastopol

sryglet

Chirping
May 18, 2015
Hey all. I have an approximately 9 month old Sebastopol named Lucy Goosey. S(he) is the friendliest goose I've ever met - never hisses, doesn't chase or nip, loves my ducks, and comes up to me for treats / pets. S(he) does this thing where s(he) makes a hilarious rubber chicken-sounding call when she hears a car coming down the driveway or if someone yells. It is ridiculous and we love it. It's the only sound s(he) makes and it sounds weirdly similar to a human with a kind of low voice making a weird sound (if that makes sense?).
I know Sebastopol don't really have any defining sex characteristics. Any way I can tell if S(he)'s a male or female, or do you have any guesses? I want to get a second goose in the spring and I would prefer for them to make a mating pair. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey all. I have an approximately 9 month old Sebastopol named Lucy Goosey. S(he) is the friendliest goose I've ever met - never hisses, doesn't chase or nip, loves my ducks, and comes up to me for treats / pets. S(he) does this thing where s(he) makes a hilarious rubber chicken-sounding call when she hears a car coming down the driveway or if someone yells. It is ridiculous and we love it. It's the only sound s(he) makes and it sounds weirdly similar to a human with a kind of low voice making a weird sound (if that makes sense?).
I know Sebastopol don't really have any defining sex characteristics. Any way I can tell if S(he)'s a male or female, or do you have any guesses? I want to get a second goose in the spring and I would prefer for them to make a mating pair. Thanks!
I would say you have a female if at 9 months she is not nipping and is sounding low pitched when she makes noise. All ganders stand with their heads up especially if someone is around them, where a female will stand normal, ganders have high pitched honk females low. I'd say by spring you'll be 100% sure since she should start to lay in late Feb or March. If you can post a pic we'd love to see her.

Unfortunately the only photos of her that I have don't really show off how gorgeous she is! She seems to have a lot more feathers now, and she looks way curlier and bigger, and that messed up looking wing looks normal now.. but here are a couple of photos from a few months back! She's now twice as old and has molted :) I'll try to get a better photo tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately the only photos of her that I have don't really show off how gorgeous she is! She seems to have a lot more feathers now, and she looks way curlier and bigger, and that messed up looking wing looks normal now.. but here are a couple of photos from a few months back!I'll try to get a better photo tomorrow :)

Sure is pretty, lets see if @jchny2000 wants to try guessing. I say female by all you have described.

Unfortunately the only photos of her that I have don't really show off how gorgeous she is! She seems to have a lot more feathers now, and she looks way curlier and bigger, and that messed up looking wing looks normal now.. but here are a couple of photos from a few months back! She's now twice as old and has molted :) I'll try to get a better photo tomorrow :)

If she isn't a goose hen I will be very surprised. Tiny legs and short neck. What a lovely lady goose you have! Band her wing against her body for at least a week using vet wrap or the generic wrap. Wrap her body first a few times and then her wing against her body, it may correct it. If not, try when she moults. It sounds like it may have corrected already.

If she isn't a goose hen I will be very surprised. Tiny legs and short neck. What a lovely lady goose you have! Band her wing against her body for at least a week using vet wrap or the generic wrap. Wrap her body first a few times and then her wing against her body, it may correct it. If not, try when she moults. It sounds like it may have corrected already.
Awesome! We've always thought she was a girl based on her demeanor alone. And that wing definitely fixed itself after she molted a few months back - she looks soooo much nicer, curlier, and bigger now. I can't wait to get a more recent picture of her :)

Back
Top Bottom