Sexing Sebastopol

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sryglet, Nov 23, 2015.

1. sryglet

sryglet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    Hey all. I have an approximately 9 month old Sebastopol named Lucy Goosey. S(he) is the friendliest goose I've ever met - never hisses, doesn't chase or nip, loves my ducks, and comes up to me for treats / pets. S(he) does this thing where s(he) makes a hilarious rubber chicken-sounding call when she hears a car coming down the driveway or if someone yells. It is ridiculous and we love it. It's the only sound s(he) makes and it sounds weirdly similar to a human with a kind of low voice making a weird sound (if that makes sense?).
    I know Sebastopol don't really have any defining sex characteristics. Any way I can tell if S(he)'s a male or female, or do you have any guesses? I want to get a second goose in the spring and I would prefer for them to make a mating pair. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would say you have a female if at 9 months she is not nipping and is sounding low pitched when she makes noise. All ganders stand with their heads up especially if someone is around them, where a female will stand normal, ganders have high pitched honk females low. I'd say by spring you'll be 100% sure since she should start to lay in late Feb or March. If you can post a pic we'd love to see her.

2 people like this.
  3. sryglet

May 18, 2015
    Unfortunately the only photos of her that I have don't really show off how gorgeous she is! She seems to have a lot more feathers now, and she looks way curlier and bigger, and that messed up looking wing looks normal now.. but here are a couple of photos from a few months back! She's now twice as old and has molted :) I'll try to get a better photo tomorrow :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sure is pretty, lets see if @jchny2000 wants to try guessing. I say female by all you have described.

1 person likes this.
  5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    If she isn't a goose hen I will be very surprised. Tiny legs and short neck. What a lovely lady goose you have! Band her wing against her body for at least a week using vet wrap or the generic wrap. Wrap her body first a few times and then her wing against her body, it may correct it. If not, try when she moults. It sounds like it may have corrected already.

2 people like this.
  6. sryglet

May 18, 2015
    Awesome! We've always thought she was a girl based on her demeanor alone. And that wing definitely fixed itself after she molted a few months back - she looks soooo much nicer, curlier, and bigger now. I can't wait to get a more recent picture of her :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by