sexing silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tebs78, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    how do you know males from females in silkies? I have about 8 or so I hatched out and have no clue what I have. Further more I have some show girls. 2 showed up naked neck and 2 showed up not..does that indicate sex?

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    nope showgirl/silkie hatches can hatch either. post pics i'll see if i can help ya. [​IMG]

3. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:It's very hard to tell with Silkies. Some can guess by the space where the comb comes in... if it's wider, then it's supposed to be male, if is more narrow, female, but it's really too hard to tell. I thought I had a rooster, but Maximus was really Maxie! And even later, I thought I had three roosters, but I only had two. I found out because "he" laid an egg!! They say you pretty much have to wait for them to mature.

I have no idea about NN's though.

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I read somewhere on here you could sex them by thier toes, lol. I tried and tried never could figure out which 2 toes I was comparing. Mine are 8-9 weeks I think and I have no clue what is what. I just know they are all very pretty.

5. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    if u have hatched and raised them enough and spend enough time around them u can usually instantly tell even by pics gender. there is many things to go by to tell. [​IMG] u can not sex them going by toes,lol. if all else fails u sex them by pelvic bones it works on any breed of bird if they r old enough.

6. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I am sure you know so much more about Silkies!! You have some beautiful chickens. I am just getting started and am enjoying learning from all of you.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Mine are getting to the 8 week range and I still can't tell if they are male or female. I am hoping both female so I can take them with me when I move back to the city.

8. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    Quote:I am sure you know so much more about Silkies!! You have some beautiful chickens. I am just getting started and am enjoying learning from all of you.

thank you that really means alot, i learn new things everyday here to. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Mine are at least 7 months old, and now I'm 'almost certain' they are 4 pullets and a roo. I will not swear by it until I see some eggs!

10. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WOW thanks...well mine are only about 5-6 weeks. they are still pretty tiny. I have had silkies in the past and I only knew because she laid an egg and my father-in-law just informed me that my "grey chicken" my silkie splash died during the cold front [​IMG] I left her there when we moved to keep my other chicken company and the dogs and every body left them alone and actually the dogs protected them, lol but in the end I guess the 30 below go her.

I will try to take some pictures today and get them posted to see if any body can tell what they are then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by