Sexing Silkies

FluffyButtBabies

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Virginia
I have a batch of silkies that are about a month old (yes I know it's early) but I'm still trying to guess at who might grow up to be a roo. There are some normal silkies, some sizzles, and some satins in the mix. My opinions so far are that the blue is a cockerel (he's massive), the calico frizzle might be a cockerel (pink comb), but I could be wrong. Maybe the fluffy white one is too, just because of his attitude. I know how hard they are to sex, so it's a toss up, but even a hint at just one of them would help. I can't keep this many for much longer haha. Any opinions on the lot?

Blue Silkie
goliath2.jpg Goliath 1.jpg

Calico Sizzle
Luna1.jpg Luna2.jpg

Cuckoo Silkie
Ducky1.jpg Ducky2.jpg

White Silkie
Fluffy1.jpg 20210426_144453.jpg

White Satin
SN1.jpg SN2.jpg

Black Sizzle
Wrona1.jpg Wrona2.jpg

White Sizzle
PC1.jpg PC2.jpg

With your understanding these are slightly educated guesses, the following is what I think as they look now:
Blue-cockerel
Calico-cockerel
cuckoo (actually looks more partridge)-pullet
white silkie-on the fence
white satin- can't see comb, but guessing pullet
black frizzle-cockerel
white frizzle-on the fence.
Cute birds😊

I have two more if you don't mind helping Either the grey is a boy and the paint is a girl, or they're both boys. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Sebby1.jpg
    Sebby1.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Sebby2.jpg
    Sebby2.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Ladybug1.jpg
    Ladybug1.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Ladybug2.jpg
    Ladybug2.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 10
With your understanding these are slightly educated guesses, the following is what I think as they look now:
Blue-cockerel
Calico-cockerel
cuckoo (actually looks more partridge)-pullet
white silkie-on the fence
white satin- can't see comb, but guessing pullet
black frizzle-cockerel
white frizzle-on the fence.
Cute birds😊
I would have guessed boy on the cuckoo based on stance! Not that it means much. Why do you say pullet?

I ended up keeling 6 chicks: the partridge, white satin, white fluffy, a mile fleur, a cochin mix, and the massive blue one. So far it seems like the guesses were all right, I have yet to see a baby roo fight (there were so many between the others). They also just have very girly attitudes lol. Obviously I could end up with a secret boy, but so far so good. The only boy I know for sure is that blue one, whom we named Goliath. I can't even lift him with one hand anymore...

Back
Top Bottom