1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Silver Appleyards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickhick, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Two baby ducklings hatched for me yesterday, and I am hoping for a male and a female. They are Silver Appleyards, and their markings are very different. One has a distinct dark patch on the top of the head (along with "eyeliner,") and the other has a pale hazy mark on its head with no "eyeliner." Does this indicate sex of the babies?

Thanks!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    nope they are not sexlinked or auto sexing by markings are hatch

3. Country Thyme

Country Thyme New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Bowden, Alberta, Canada
    Sorry, it actually sounds like it means you only have one Appleyard to begin with. Yellow down with the hazy dark line sounds about right for Appleyard pattern down, but the traditional down with the "eyeliner" sounds like it is probably mallard/wild coloured, the regular colour of a rouen.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    not true SA can also hatch in dark phase (even white but they are culls or pets only)

5. Country Thyme

Country Thyme New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Bowden, Alberta, Canada
    While it is true that you can have appleyards hatch out expressing dark phase rather than light phase, my understanding is that the down pattern typical of appleyards is controlled by the restricted mallard pattern gene, so wouldn't a dark phase appleyard still have the yellow down with Mohawk pattern?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by