Sexing the Brahma breed, (standard size, Light Brahma)

Pics
I'm pretty sure Rainbow (little neighbor girl named him) is a Roo. I incubated the eggs and he hatched on May 28. However, I hatched another mutt out for a friend and swore it was a rooster. Nope. Rooney turned out to be a girl. Sigh. Can I get some guesses as to what gender Rainbow is?

The white behind him in this pic is Tilly the d'uccle.

I don't think you can tell right now, but if you made me choose I'd say pullet simply because there is plenty of wing feather development. But really you won't be able to tell until later ;)

So did we decide that puffy tail feathers indicate a pullet and straight feathers are a roo? I have a four-month-old chick that is a complete mystery to me. Comb and wattles look pullet, but sharp tail feathers indicate roo?

Comb/wattles at 2.5-ish months

Profile at 3.5 months.

Last edited:
Pullet, @campingshaws. The light brahmas tend to mature slowly so there's maybe a 10-15% chance you've got a late blooming boy...but I'd say girl.

Thanks! I'm really hoping so; after numerous predator problems it's the only chick I've got left. At what age would I be looking for the hackle/saddle feathers? In all my other breeds I can usually see them by four months, after the juvie molt.

Thanks! I'm really hoping so; after numerous predator problems it's the only chick I've got left. At what age would I be looking for the hackle/saddle feathers? In all my other breeds I can usually see them by four months, after the juvie molt.

I've never had a male light brahma so I don't know...but in trying to see what others have said I ran across this post that would also point to your chick being a pullet:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/365692/light-brahma-and-saddle-feather-sexing

Back
Top Bottom