Sexing the Brahma breed, (standard size, Light Brahma)

Pics
Oh ok, thank you, I didn't know they should have it from hatch. So mine is just not pure breed, that's ok, she is very sweet and docile, really cold hardy and quiet. At what age did yours start laying eggs?
Mine were spring chickens, and what with the winter, if memory serves, they didn't lay until they were 30 something weeks old.

Right, so there is a difference of the 'egg start' week depending on whether they are spring or fall (autumn) chicken?.. Interesting, didn't know that. Mine are autumn chicken, so I am expecting eggs for Easter (even though we don't die eggs).

Well, it has to do with the fact that the shorter days in winter cause chickens to stop laying. As a result, spring chickens, who would come of age in the late fall/early winter don't start laying until after the days start getting longer again in late winter/very early spring.

Here people take chicks outside as soon as they are 4-5 weeks. If it's winter may need to wait until they are 2 months, but they grow healthier than the spring chicken.. just an overall observation.
In in Pennsylvania....it’s cold here we’ve had some snow nothing to stick yet but I’ve had the current chicks outside since I received them at 3 days old. They are currently almost 2 months old. But they’ve been outside since I’ve had them. They had separate coop from the older girls n boys up until they were 5 weeks old :) I think it’s a matter of preference really.

@Jandsloch so you received chicks that were 3 days old and you put them outside? At what temp?
No lower than 50 f at night. First 2. Nights in house out during day because it was below 50 after that they were in the shed....no heat source until they started to feather at a week or so old then they went in a coop with a run to be separated from everyone else. At 5 weeks I let them out and now they r with everyone else. I’m not saying my way is right however I’ve only used a heat light once....my first chicks....after that I’ve decided I’d rather not. Edited to add before they went to their own coop they were in a huge feed trough with fence top outside during day for sun and in shed at. Night

Back
Top Bottom