Sexing Tractor Supply Cuckoo Marans

Interesting, my grey broiler chicks looked like typical black barred chicks, except for five white ones (out of 30) who ended up looking like Delawares. They were not from Hoover though.
1669906780810.jpeg

Interesting, my grey broiler chicks looked like typical black barred chicks, except for five white ones (out of 30) who ended up looking like Delawares. They were not from Hoover though.
View attachment 3338021
Mine all looked like this as chicks. The only difference is that some had brown around their beak and eyes, and some grey splotches on their feet and legs.
th-4079439741.jpg

Also, Hoover's website states they only sell Royal Grey Broilers unsexed. So what are the odds that all 10 of my mystery chickens are pullets?

Attachments

• th-4079439741.jpg
    th-4079439741.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 5
Mine all looked like this as chicks. The only difference is that some had brown around their beak and eyes, and some grey splotches on their feet and legs.
Colored broilers can be pretty variable looking as chicks and adults as they are mixed breeds and don't adhere to a specific standard.
The grey wash on the legs and feet is typical of any barred pullets.
What color skin/legs do your girls have? Broilers are yellow, Marans should be white.
So what are the odds that all 10 of my mystery chickens are pullets?
It's possible, cockerels are often preferred for meat birds, so perhaps they had a bunch of extra pullets at the time.

Here's a couple of pics of my grey broiler pullets @ 11 weeks

1669922998649.jpeg

1669923059974.jpeg

View attachment 3338140
Also, Hoover's website states they only sell Royal Grey Broilers unsexed. So what are the odds that all 10 of my mystery chickens are pullets?
I do not know the exact strain of broiler they are. As mixed breeds, appearance is variable. I don't know the exact wording of the name. TSC also sometimes orders from hatcheries other than Hoover's and that further complicates nomenclature. That being said, they're Grey Broilers of some sort. Whether that strain is "rainbow" or "royal" or another name entirely. They do appear to be pullets as others have said. I don't know the logistics of how they're all pullets and how you wound up with them, but I do know the outcome and that is some barred broiler pullets :)

After looking at the Hoover site, I believe they most likely get them from the same place I got mine, same name royal gray broilers and same pictures.
https://www.moyerschicks.com/royalgraybroiler.html
That is possible too. Yours do look incredibly similar to the OP's :) It's just hard to label hatchery mixes since they all have potential to look almost the same

Colored broilers can be pretty variable looking as chicks and adults as they are mixed breeds and don't adhere to a specific standard.
The grey wash on the legs and feet is typical of any barred pullets.
What color skin/legs do your girls have? Broilers are yellow, Marans should be white.

It's possible, cockerels are often preferred for meat birds, so perhaps they had a bunch of extra pullets at the time.

Here's a couple of pics of my grey broiler pullets @ 11 weeks

View attachment 3338339
View attachment 3338342
Thank you! I, for the life of me, could not find any pictures of broilers that look like yours, which is why I assumed they were Maran mutts. Those pictures are exactly what mine look like.

Back
Top Bottom