sexing turkeys - what age?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
mine are now 11 weeks and i have a 'feeling' about some but not sure if its wishful thinking or not....

they are starting to get the bald headed look but no wattles growing, no strutting, there is one HUGE bugger compared to the rest (guessing that will be a tom for sure...he's a monster!) but the other 7 im still guessing.

do you have to wait until they gobble to know ? at what age would that be??

At this age you should be able to see difference in the length of the snoods, girls a bump, boys showing some lengthening and some displaying going on also. Carbuncles head and neck turning red. My turkeys always start the displaying by around 4-6 wks

all the snoods look the same, like a small 'spot'! and i see no caruncle growth yet....suppose i just have to wait and see

dont know if it makes any difference but these are ronquieres turkeys?

I am fairly good at sexing my turkeys BUT I always have a few that surprise me. Its always ones I think are hens that turn out to be toms. I have never had what I think are toms turn out to be hens. In would say for sure at 4 to 5 months. I think it is stupid to try to guess before that if you want to be 100% acurate.

Back
Top Bottom