Sexing two 10 wk Muscovies

Datacross

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2016

I only have a few pictures on my phone and they aren't the best but I can get more after work. They're a day off from 10 weeks old now. The all black one has a hoarse but quiet quack while the white wing tipped one still has the duckling chirp, although louder. When they were younger we had thought the white tipped was female and the all black a drake but I'm really not sure as I've never sexed ducks before. I'll have to get better pics when I get home tonight

I only have a few pictures on my phone and they aren't the best but I can get more after work. They're a day off from 10 weeks old now. The all black one has a hoarse but quiet quack while the white wing tipped one still has the duckling chirp, although louder. When they were younger we had thought the white tipped was female and the all black a drake but I'm really not sure as I've never sexed ducks before. I'll have to get better pics when I get home tonight
@Datacross better pics would help but looking at the face on the one on the left looks girlish but better pics pleas. and scovy's don't quack girls make trilling sounds and drakes huff and hiss.

@Datacross
   better pics would help but looking at the face on the one on the left looks girlish but better pics pleas. and scovy's don't quack girls make trilling sounds and drakes huff and hiss.

I've heard that about the quacking. The one on the left only makes the duckling sound so far but it was a bit developmentally behind the right. I'm assuming the right is just growing out of its duckling chirp. It tries to make noise but it just ends up coming out like a very hoarse squawk of some sort. Neither of them prodominently hiss but the one on the right has started huffing and hissing a little.

Sorry about the pic, it's all I have on my right now. Will get closer pics when I get home hopefully

I've heard that about the quacking. The one on the left only makes the duckling sound so far but it was a bit developmentally behind the right. I'm assuming the right is just growing out of its duckling chirp. It tries to make noise but it just ends up coming out like a very hoarse squawk of some sort. Neither of them prodominently hiss but the one on the right has started huffing and hissing a little.

Sorry about the pic, it's all I have on my right now. Will get closer pics when I get home hopefully
Get some good ones from the side total body and from front view head including front of body with feet. Look at their legs drakes legs sit farther apart than ducks and ducks feet are almost pigeon toed their legs are closer together, drakes legs are also very think compared to female. Female body shaped like a foot ball drake over all longer from head to tail.

These are the best pictures I could get. It's hard to keep them corralled on the porch for very long xD

Last edited:
Well, as an update, they've both started trilling this morning! At least that means I don't have to go get more ducks to better the duck:drake ratio. Quick question as this is my first time having ducks: are they like chickens where they will lay unfertilized eggs without a drake? Or do they need a drake in order to lay any eggs? Sorry if that's a silly question

Well, as an update, they've both started trilling this morning! At least that means I don't have to go get more ducks to better the duck:drake ratio. Quick question as this is my first time having ducks: are they like chickens where they will lay unfertilized eggs without a drake? Or do they need a drake in order to lay any eggs? Sorry if that's a silly question
I think you have drake and duck. Lets see if @learycow is available for comment
1st pic drake on the right duck on the left.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom