Sexing young goslings.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RAREROO, Jun 17, 2010.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi all

Is there any ways to sex young geese that are around two months old other than vent sexing, like can they be voice sexed like ducks ? My aunt told me today that she was wanting a pair and I asked my friend who I knew had some for sale and she said they are around 2 mos and she dosent know how to sex them and my aunt was wanting a pair and now, I think I have gone absolutely crazy, but I think I may be considering a pair of Buffs myself, hopefully considering is all I will do though and that will soon pass over but either way, I would like to get my aunt a pair if anyone can help me out on the sexing. These are Buff and Touloose goslings by the way incase there are any visual differences to look for.

Thanks

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Maybe by size? I know i can tell my male from my female(white chinese) already and they're not yet 2 months old. I vent sexed them before i bought them (my first try at it), i wanted 2 girls and i got a pair, lol. I special ordered 2 females and they should be in tomorrow. I recently picked up 3 Brown Chinas though and vent sexed the 4 that were for sale and 1 was an Obvious boy, his little thing popped right up, so i boguht the 3 that didn't have a "pointy thing". In a few weeks we will see how i did [​IMG]

(PS. my 1st pair didn't have "pointy things" either... Owen was holding it in i guess [​IMG] )

Good luck with your goslings!

3. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    They can be sexed by voice but I think yours are still too young for that. Ganders have a higher screechier voice, while the goose has a low pitched voice. I'm trying to remember with mine when I could definitely hear a difference, it was at least three or four months. The gander will SHRIEK ear splittingly, while the goose's lower pitches can be very loud, they don't make your ear drums vibrate [​IMG]

Buffs and Toulouse do not have sex feathers and look exactly alike as adults except for size. I have a sexed pair (and a rescue female) I got as goslings. Though I got them mixed up immediately, by the time they were two months old, it was obvious who the gander was. He was larger, had a bigger head, and a bigger personality. He was bossier and friendlier and more attention seeking.

Even as goslings, the gander was more alert, and kept his head up high, while the female was more timid and tended to keep her head lower. The gander came forward while the goose hung back shyly. But again I had a male and a female. If you have two or three of each, and they all behave similarly, it's about darn impossible to tell who's what until someone lays an egg in the spring.

I joke with people and tell them just name them a name that fits, assume they are male or female in how they strike you. Then, correct your perceptions if you end up wrong [​IMG] Ganders named Amanda don't seem to mind anyway.

4. Rose4aname

Rose4aname Hatching

Jun 17, 2010
    How do you tell the sex?

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Quote:Look at the two posts above yours, there is a lot of information there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by