sexlink genetic question

Newbean

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
So I have a RIR/golden sexlink cross rooster.

If I mated him with a RIR white, would I get babies that could be sexed at hatch?

But the big question is that would they be golden rocket sexlinks?

My guess is, maybe. But that they wouldn't have the laying ability of the true cross because they wouldn't have the hybrid vigor.

Am I wrong ? (crossing fingers and hoping
smile.png
)

Red/gold sex-link males are heterozygous for gold/silver (Ss); their father was ss, mother was S-. Therefore they cannot reliably be used to create sexlink offspring. About half their progeny will inherit S and the other half will inherit s, and that is irrespective of gender.

If paired with a silver hen (S-), the possible offspring will be

males: SS & Ss
females: S- & s-

Never heard of a golden rocket
big_smile.png

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this.
hu.gif

If the father is a cross breed between a RIR & a golden sexlink, the possibility for an accurate sex link would depend upon whether the RIR or the sex link was the father of the cross breed male being used?
If the male's father was RIR & the mother was the gold sexlink, presumably the bird is s+/s+.

The Golden Rocket is probably a specific commercial hybrid based on sex linked gold/silver.

The father was a RIR, the mother was a golden sex link or golden rocket based on what she looked like and how she laid.

I bought her from someone on Craigslist. So don't have her parents or anything like that. Or his for that matter. I'm still a newbie after 2 years.

Last edited:
The father was a RIR, the mother was a golden sex link or golden rocket based on what she looked like and how she laid.

Then he ought to be s+/s+ so crossing him onto a silver female (white Rhodie?) would give sex linked offspring.
big_smile.png

I think often the birds called sex links are specially developed commercial hybrids where they have taken advantage of sex linked genes. They are not generally a simple first cross.
wink.png

I really don't know how the sex linked cross you are proposing would compare.
I have an idea they might not lay quite as well, but I expect they'd lay reasonably well anyway.

Back
Top Bottom