SEXLINK

Not in most cases. Very rarely, you will find a silver-based Leghorn hen, but 99% are Dominant White instead. 100% of their chicks from any cross will be mostly white with some color leakage.

Black Sex Links are made from a cross of a Barred hen with any non-white, non-Barred cock (though Red roosters are most often used and depending on the rooster not all color patterns will be sexable at hatch). Commercial BSLs are made using a Rhode Island cock with a Barred Plymouth Rock hen.

There's no such thing as a "gold sex link." Do you mean Red Sex Links? Red Sex Links are made from a cross of a Silver hen with a Red or gold rooster (some other colors can be used but they are often not sexable at hatch). Commercial RSLs are made using a Rhode Island cock with a Delaware hen.

Thanks! You said their is no gold sex? Me and my mom was both sold gold sex links from feed store. My mom has RIR rooster and barred rock hens if I hatch those eggs will that make black sex link?

Last edited:
Thanks! You said their is no gold sex? Me and my mom was both sold gold sex links from feed store. My mom has RIR rooster and barred rock hens if I hatch those eggs will that make black sex link?

Oh you know what I was being an idiot. "Gold Sex Link" is what some hatcheries call Red Sex Links. I'm so used to calling them RSLs I forgot some people still use the Gold name. Genetically and practically they're the same thing.

Yes, the progeny of your mom's birds will be Black Sex Links.

Thanks a lot!
1f60c.png
1f60c.png
will have to get my mom to save eggs
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f424.png

Back
Top Bottom