SF eggs are all body checked now

Jgrzyosbo

Chirping
Feb 14, 2020
CT
My salmon faverolles is now laying body checked eggs - the kind with a ridge all the way around. For the last 3 weeks they have all been this way. Before that, they looked normal. She lays every other day.

She is my only SF in a mixed flock of 9 hens and 1 rooster. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, and is bullied, but less than before. She is about 2 yrs old.

If it were an occasional egg I would not be concerned, but since they are all this way I am wondering if there is something needs doing. TIA.

Last edited:
Do you notice any hairline cracks in the eggs at the body checks? I have a Serama hen that was laying several eggs that had been cracked internally and then mended before they were laid. I gave her Calcium Citrate + vitamin D3 each day until I noticed some calcium pimples on her eggs. This did help, but I wouldn't give that unless your hen is having shell quality issues.
@aart

Do you notice any hairline cracks in the eggs at the body checks? I have a Serama hen that was laying several eggs that had been cracked internally and then mended before they were laid. I gave her Calcium Citrate + vitamin D3 each day until I noticed some calcium pimples on her eggs. This did help, but I wouldn't give that unless your hen is having shell quality issues.
@aart
Hi Heather, thanks for helping. She has been having shell quality issues, but her shells are not thin. Also, today's egg was perfect, but very small. How did you give the calcium and D?

I purchased a bottle of the human form called Citracal + D3 Maxium (I actually purchased the store brand). It has the calcium citrate and vit d3 in each tablet. The human serving size is 2 tablets, but I give my standard sized birds one tablet at night. The tablets look fairly large but I haven't had any trouble getting them down a hen's throat, even my Serama. Just open her beak and send the tablet down. They can swallow something like that easier than I first thought. I'll share a picture of the bottle of vitamins.

20201204_182551.jpg

20201204_182605.jpg

I purchased a bottle of the human form called Citracal + D3 Maxium (I actually purchased the store brand). It has the calcium citrate and vit d3 in each tablet. The human serving size is 2 tablets, but I give my standard sized birds one tablet at night. The tablets look fairly large but I haven't had any trouble getting them down a hen's throat, even my Serama. Just open her beak and send the tablet down. They can swallow something like that easier than I first thought. I'll share a picture of the bottle of vitamins.
Thank you! I am going to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom