SGE Hen or Roo?

Nikkinyx

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
Hi all, I’m not familiar with this hybrid- these two are to be hens though I have my doubts with so many people ending up with Roos from sexed chickies from hatchery. They’re about 6 weeks. Wondering what your thoughts are? Anyone have any SGE’s ?

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    843.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    856.6 KB · Views: 16
Pretty girls! I have one that looks similar, my Carmella. My cockerel was lookin' like a straight up MAN-CHICKEN already by 6 weeks, so I wouldn't worry about these two. I actually got my first five Australorp chicks from a pullet bin and they ALL turned out to be females as well, so it's not all horror stories. :)

Pretty girls! I have one that looks similar, my Carmella. My cockerel was lookin' like a straight up MAN-CHICKEN already by 6 weeks, so I wouldn't worry about these two. I actually got my first five Australorp chicks from a pullet bin and they ALL turned out to be females as well, so it's not all horror stories. :)
Glad to hear! I guess we only hear about the horror stories! Is your SGE super timid too? I’ve handled mine since day olds and they still freak out every time I’m near them 😂

Glad to hear! I guess we only hear about the horror stories! Is your SGE super timid too? I’ve handled mine since day olds and they still freak out every time I’m near them 😂
Kinda, yeah. I am spoilt by my Australorps, and even the Welsummers are pretty easy to handle. And the Bielefelders so far have been like little lap chickens! I can pick up all my SGEs, but mostly they don't come over to me that much, maybe one out of the three, and they don't super tolerate being held and petted like even one of my same age Wyandottes, or the Bieles. I think they must use Leghorn in the mix. I notice they tend to hang out on the perch, too, when the rest of the birds are bopping around, pecking around on the ground. Pretty girls, but a bit aloof.

They’re about 6-7 weeks I’m guessing
Yes, definitely pullets then. Congrats!

It's usually the feed store bins that have issues making sure what they list is what they're selling (sexed pullets). Hatcheries most often times get it right, but it does depend on the hatchery.

I have two SGEs that look like these, they're flighty as anything. I keep them contained, so I can usually chase them down, but I hate to do it. They'll come right up to me for treats but are not a fan of being touched. And they're fine, but not happy, once I catch them, and deal with being handled fine. It's just the chase that freaks them out. So I'll usually pet them at roosting time while they're setting for the night - they're calmer then.

I just had one SGE hatch out some chicks - she's been the best (and my only) broody. They're not supposed to go broody, but this chicken's been broody 3x in a year and a half. She was easy to break last year, but this year I let her sit, and she was an awesome mom. She and my other SGE are in the middle/bottom of the pecking order, but those broody hormones worked great on her. She beat up all her flock mates and even took on the head hen on behalf of her chicks and won. Took her 6-8 weeks to start laying again, and her chicks are an accepted/unmolested part of the flock now.

I purchased 19 chickens from the feed store for my first flock, about 6 different breeds, and all my sexed pullets were indeed pullets. And they all made it to adult-hood just fine and were healthy.

Yea, you do tend to hear more about what goes wrong, I think that's just the nature of platforms like this. Which is awesome when you need help.

Back
Top Bottom