Shade for run

dindonuffin

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
Central Alabama
I have a run attached to my coop that is sitting out in the direct sun. I have a tarp over half the top to provide them with some shade. I was thinking about some type of a bush to plant inside the coop to give them some extra shade or maybe something to plant outside the run and will run or climb up and I can train it to cover the top. The top of the run is covered with wire fencing material, so was thinking maybe a grape or some other type of running plant. Maybe a fruit that will also provide a snack for the chickens.
Any ideas??

Thanks!

Trees and shrubs, especially on the south and west sides of the coop and run. Stick with non- toxic plants, so no Japanese yew, etc. Plants with edible berries or fruit are a bonus. Vines are good, but remember that the structure must be sturdy enough to support the vine! A tarp or shade cloth will work as a temporary fix, but plantings are the best, and will provide some cover from Hawks too. My very ratty unstained coop has shelter on three sides, and the spruces on the west provide a cooler area in hot weather. Mary

Back
Top Bottom