1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shade ideas for run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shakecc, Jul 8, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Does anyone have any ideas or photos of how they have shaded their run? Our property does not have any mature trees so our run is in full sun, so we are looking for some ideas to provide shade.

Any photos or ideas?

Thanks!

2. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    How about planting a vine to run and give you some shade...also saw a post a while ago that suggested using a "fake" vine...or you could use some tin or similar roofing to give them a place to get out of the sun...this is what I will do for my run

3. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    I found one of these umbrellas in freecycle

[​IMG]

Lashed it to the side of the run.

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

A few years ago we went to a family reunion down on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona. Not many trees there. We fell in love with their brush arbors.

We built one next to the greenhouse and are planning at least one or two more in the main chicken coop area. Nothing fancy - just some poles & cross supports with brush piled up on them - some are just lean-tos. We just used some arbor poles as the uprights (8'+ wooden poles for supporting grapes, etc.) and thick branches for the cross poles. Every spring as we trim suckers from the trees we throw the brush created on top of the structure. Every fall we clear it away before the first heavy snow (this year, we left it in place with no problems).

The simplicity and little/no cost appeals to us and the chickens love to lounge under it on hot days.

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Our turkey pen has some shade with climbing roses. I recently put tarps over it, too. Turkeys get hot easily and like to sleep in the shade.

[​IMG]

Holderread's uses arbors with fruit planted over them, like grapes, as windfall snacks for their ducks and geese. Here is a link for ideas:

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/shade_page/shade.htm

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Ok, I'm so white trash. Right now my run is being shaded by a big crushed down cardboard box! Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! [​IMG]

8. R2daB2da

R2daB2da New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    University Place, WA
    Quote:Not white trash. That's Tacoma! [​IMG]

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Not white trash. That's Tacoma!

DUDE!! Be nice, you... you... Curtis HS grad, or I'll grab my illegal, stolen handgun & do drive-by at your house.
    [​IMG]

10. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    Quote:I've seen the uv shade fabric and wondered if it keeps rain out? or is a small mesh that lets rain through?

That is a good price though and thinking I could use on a run extension (for occasional use because I can't free range) instead of a tarp roof because I want grass or something green to grow there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by