Shade without trees

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by petlove, Mar 14, 2008.

1. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Any suggestions on supplying shade in a chicken run if no trees are near. I have shade cloth but is it enough?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    When I needed to shade my chickies and to protect the run from flooding I used a normal tarp. How big is the run?

3. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Hey, PetLove: Like your new avatar. Looks kinda familiar![​IMG]

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have my birds in an acre pasture that they free range on. I have no natural shade for them. My husband built small "tables" for them to get under. They use them often to get out of the sun. The "tables" also provide shelter to get away from hawks and the goats love to sit on top. We have about three of them place at random around the pasture.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I make TeePees out of pieces of plywood. Anywhere between 3x3 to 4x4' work well. I just lay two pieces flat on the ground and put hinges on the seam. Then set them in the run with the opening facing south and north. I also put a tarp on the west side of the fencing to cast some shade on the area just to the east of the tarp. I find the birds lined up along the tarp in the afternoon sun. Shade Cloth is great for the mid day but when the sun starts to go lower in the sky it get really hot and the shade if harder to find.

6. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Thanks farmgirl01 and jimnjay for your ideas. I will utilize both. [​IMG]
    I think it is fun to change avatars. Avatars and posting pics are new to me.

7. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    I'm not sure how permanent you want to go, but you could try putting up a trellis with a climbing plant/vine to cover it.

8. shadetree

shadetree Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    somerset ky
    we took a 2x4 and ripped it into strips and then nailed the strips to the posts sort of like making a permanent blind.[​IMG]

9. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Shadetree, nice chicken run. I might be able to do something with slats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by