Shamo Chickens

iknownothing

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014

Hi Im hoping someone may be able to help me work out what gender these shamo's (maybe a shamo x) are. I dont know much about chickens at all (these were given to me as babies in November) and I have searched google for images of hens & roosters but there doesnt seem to be any clear matches (I have found images of hens & roosters that look similar) they dont have very big combs on their heads and their spurs are only tiny lumps (see bottom pic) are we hens or roosters? thanks :)

Thanks for that! Do you know at what age the spur thing (is that the name for the lump on their leg) starts to grow. These guys are at least 24 weeks and they only have a little lump.

I believe the spur becomes more noticeable at about a year old. My year old cocks have a rounded nubs right now while my 2+year Cocks have fully developed spurs.

That makes sense :) thanks for that. I know the breed dont like to hang out with other chickens and at the moment they run away from my other older hens & roosters - will that change as they get older or since they are submissive to the others will they stay like that?

Im trying to work out if (long term) what I will do with them. I have 5 other roosters and we had already decided to get rid of 4 (we dont have that much land) leaving us with 4 hens, the 1 rooster and these two babies. Would we be able to keep both or being roosters, would we need to get rid of one of them as well?

If these were not raised with the existing flock I would not keep them unless you make them a separate pen. Shamos can be bird aggressive and you do not have enough hens for 2-3 males.

I've only had one shamo and rehomed it as fast as I could when I found out what it was. Hopefully someone with more shamo experience will join in and offer some advice on if it would be a good idea to keep these guys. I'm kinda thinking they will need their own pen/yard. There is a shamo thread or 2 on here and I'm sure they can tell you what expect behavior wise from these guys.

ETA- Nothing against shamos, I just don't want game birds in my flock.

Last edited:
I totally get the game bird thing and honestly they wouldnt be my first choice either. A friend gave me 12 lowmans and when they moved interstate they dropped off the shamos (came home to them). We have 2 cages, the two shamos in one and the other chickens in the other. During the day they all free range together. Well the shamos are chased next door to the neighbours and they come back at night.

I dont know anything about them (or raising chickens in general) so Im just trying to work out what our best option is so that we can 'convince' the kids that this is what will happen. It was easier when we thought these two were hens but over the last few months I have started to think they were roosters but just needed it confirmed. I will have a look and see if I can find a recent shamo thread or hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable (no offence to you, you have been a fantastic help thanks) for some long term advice.

Sold to me as IG's but thinking they may be Shamo, would love to hear your thoughts

Back
Top Bottom