Share about recent or expected rabbit kindling?

I'd say a bit too early for a nest box - she might use it as a litterbox (and she still might, anyway
1f644.png
). I put mine in at day 28.

No worries.
1f642.png
I tried putting a nest box in earlier for a doe when I first started breeding rabbits, and she made a mess of it. Finally took it out and only put it back in a couple of days prior to day 31. Some does just have a propensity for peeing in the nest box...poop's not a big deal, but pee is a problem.

Congrats! It sounds like you'll have your hands full in no time. lol Is your ND a first-timer?

No worries.
1f642.png
I tried putting a nest box in earlier for a doe when I first started breeding rabbits, and she made a mess of it. Finally took it out and only put it back in a couple of days prior to day 31. Some does just have a propensity for peeing in the nest box...poop's not a big deal, but pee is a problem.

Congrats! It sounds like you'll have your hands full in no time. lol Is your ND a first-timer?
Yep... I wasn't expecting her to get pregnant. I just picked her up one day and noticed that she was heavier... and then i palpated and felt babies!
lol.png
I need mored cages though... i have 5 cages and 7+ rabbits
hide.gif

Now you really have incentive to get those additional cages!
1f609.png
If you're looking for a place to buy cages (online), let me know and I'll PM you the info for the place where I get my kindling cages.

Looking forward to seeing your cute kit pics soon!

Now you really have incentive to get those additional cages!
1f609.png
If you're looking for a place to buy cages (online), let me know and I'll PM you the info for the place where I get my kindling cages.

Looking forward to seeing your cute kit pics soon!
Yeah... I'm waiting to hear back from a guy about getting some cages. I will post kit pics soon :)

Soooo.... My doe is due tomorrow!!!! She hasn't built a nest yet though. She also has been using her nestbox as a litterbox. Does anybody know why she's not nesting? She IS pregnant, I can feel little babies in there :)

Soooo.... My doe is due tomorrow!!!! She hasn't built a nest yet though. She also has been using her nestbox as a litterbox. Does anybody know why she's not nesting? She IS pregnant, I can feel little babies in there :)

If good mothering instincts are given priority when selecting breeding animals, you generally get does that do the things they are supposed to do. But since we often have other things in mind when we make our choices, we can get animals that are totally clueless (obviously, a junior doe has no track record to go by, but does that are good mothers often have daughters with good instincts, too). Some does will take a time or two before they get all the details worked out, and some never do get it right. That's why a lot of breeders have a "three strikes" rule - if a doe can't figure things out by the third time, she probably has faulty programming, and it's best to just get her out of the way and move on to a doe that can produce. Of course, there are those that just have to do things their way, too - I had one doe years ago that did nothing at all until mere minutes before the kits started arriving, but when she got going, she was a whirlwind of activity!

Back
Top Bottom