Share your loner/ misfit chickens, make a "virtual flock"!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HenFriend, Oct 24, 2012.

1. HenFriend

HenFriend Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    West Wales, UK
    There always seems to be a loner in every flock, maybe a runt or bottom of the pecking order. Some just seem to prefer their own or human company. I think these chickens often have a lot of character so I was hoping members would like to share stories and pictures here.

My loner is Errol, a white silkie. He doesn't seem to fit with the others so I leave him free in the garden while the others stay in the coop when I'm working. He is always super excited or scared at everything and when he sees me he dances round clucking and picking up something to show, for example a leaf or bit of stick. When he tries to show the hens a tasty bit of food they ignore him but they will take notice if it's one of the other roos.He once saw a mouse and stood looking at the hole and screaming for ages after it had gone!

Here is a pic, look forward to seeing your loners soon.

[​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Fluffy our blue cochin is a loner : ( but I picked up a roo for her, he comes tomorrow

3. HenFriend

May 5, 2012
    West Wales, UK
    I hope it works out for her [​IMG]

Has anyone else got any to add?

4. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    [​IMG]
    This is Bridie, she keeps herself on the very edge of the flock. If I crounch down and can feel someone picking bits off my butt, I know who it is!
    She is definitely her own chicken and likes her own space.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    This is Nestor Little Roo. Our barn chicken coop has 3 roosters who grew up together, and the smallest stays out the outskirts of the flock and dust bathes by himself.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HenFriend

May 5, 2012
    West Wales, UK
    What breed is Bridie? She looks like shes wearing big fluffy pantaloons!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by