Sharing babies

Cemcbride26

Hatching
Oct 16, 2018
Hi everyone
Have had a look online but cant seem to find anything on this subject so hoping someone will be able to answer my question.
We have a few Aracuna hens. 1 in particular is broody alot and has just hatched her second lot of chicks. A couple of days after the chicks hatched another 1 of the hens became broody and has since taken up co parenting with the mother hen and her chicks. Is this normal? Mother hen is fine with it. They roam round together with the chicks, feed together and sit on the chicks together.

Welcome to BYC! Yes, there are lots of reports of successful co-parenting, if everyone's happy, then and no disputes, enjoy....
Post some pics when you have time.....

Hi everyone
Have had a look online but cant seem to find anything on this subject so hoping someone will be able to answer my question.
We have a few Aracuna hens. 1 in particular is broody alot and has just hatched her second lot of chicks. A couple of days after the chicks hatched another 1 of the hens became broody and has since taken up co parenting with the mother hen and her chicks. Is this normal? Mother hen is fine with it. They roam round together with the chicks, feed together and sit on the chicks together.
I’ve had that before with mine it’s usually the momma hen’s bestie who just want to help her friend out

Here’s an old picture of two of mine sharing babies granted they’re underneath the moms

Attachments

• C094278D-7877-4006-BAAC-56E35FD0FB08.jpeg
    C094278D-7877-4006-BAAC-56E35FD0FB08.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 6
As long as the hens are not fighting in the nesting box then it might be alright. I have had Muscovy duck hens try to set eggs in the same box, that usually never works out and the hatch rates are very low. My Muscovy hens do all help each other when raising the ducklings, it just becomes one massive family.

A couple of days after the chicks hatched another 1 of the hens became broody and has since taken up co parenting with the mother hen and her chicks. Is this normal? Mother hen is fine with it. They roam round together with the chicks, feed together and sit on the chicks together.
Welcome to BYC!
That's great!
Better she co-parent than sit a nest, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom