Sharing cure/remedy for liver disease

Barred Feather

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Hi All,
I brought my almost 7 yr old barred rock/dominque mix hen back from death and wanted to share what I did in hopes it'll help someone else. My hen had all the symptoms of liver failure: labored breathing (not getting enough oxygen..purple comb), not being able to walk or stand, fluid in the abdomen, no egg production, lethargy, malaise, lack of appetite, digestion basically stopped, and sick greenish poops. I isolated her and gave her: wet food/mush with ground flax seed and Genistein Soy Complex, milk thistle drops in the morning, and Homepet Liver Rescue drops at night for 3 weeks. She also got liver safe fruits and veggies, such as strawberries, spinach, and cucumbers. When she couldn't walk, I helped her stand up and stretch her legs. Within a week, she had regained her appetite and could stand, although it was very wobbly and she'd fall down a lot. After two weeks, she was walking (still weak) and breathing normally. After three weeks, she returned to the flock and regained her #1 position in the pecking order.

After much research, I think her liver disease is related to heart murmurs and disease. I can now identify symptoms that she has been showing for years, which I just chalked up to old age. While she won't ever be "cured," she is now able to live her chicken life for a bit more time. I have never brought a chicken back to health from such illness, so I just had to share. I wish everyone the same luck as they treat their sick chickens!

Hi All,
I brought my almost 7 yr old barred rock/dominque mix hen back from death and wanted to share what I did in hopes it'll help someone else. My hen had all the symptoms of liver failure: labored breathing (not getting enough oxygen..purple comb), not being able to walk or stand, fluid in the abdomen, no egg production, lethargy, malaise, lack of appetite, digestion basically stopped, and sick greenish poops. I isolated her and gave her: wet food/mush with ground flax seed and Genistein Soy Complex, milk thistle drops in the morning, and Homepet Liver Rescue drops at night for 3 weeks. She also got liver safe fruits and veggies, such as strawberries, spinach, and cucumbers. When she couldn't walk, I helped her stand up and stretch her legs. Within a week, she had regained her appetite and could stand, although it was very wobbly and she'd fall down a lot. After two weeks, she was walking (still weak) and breathing normally. After three weeks, she returned to the flock and regained her #1 position in the pecking order.

After much research, I think her liver disease is related to heart murmurs and disease. I can now identify symptoms that she has been showing for years, which I just chalked up to old age. While she won't ever be "cured," she is now able to live her chicken life for a bit more time. I have never brought a chicken back to health from such illness, so I just had to share. I wish everyone the same luck as they treat their sick chickens!
Thanks for sharing 👍 😊

Back
Top Bottom