Sharpening Beak?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuckertori, Jun 5, 2011.

1. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Once in a while my 3 month olds rub their beaks back and forth across the ground across various surfaces. Why do they do this? Are they keeping their beaks sharp?

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Good question, I was wondering the same thing. My girls do it too. They seem to do it more after they have eaten watermelon but maybe that's just when I notice it more.

3. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens will wipe their beaks after eating, especially if it is something that sticks to their beaks. If I stand still to watch them sometimes they will even clean their beaks on my boots or pant cuffs. Charming little dears. [​IMG]

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    when i had mine (i miss them so much) they would wipe their beaks on my shoulder

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Or they could be planning their attack!

Just kidding. Mine do it to clean their beaks.

I hope....

6. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Mine do it after eating and drinking - i think they are cleaning their beaks off.. [​IMG] Also when we cut our grass I always toss clippings into the run and its like cantnip for them I swear and what they do is run around swiping their beaks in it and kicking it.. So it might mean alot of things!!

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have always thought that they were just cleaning up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by