shaveings or wood pellets?

I vote for pellets I use them for my chickens never wet them I do like Nyreds buy the fine shavings and put on the top but my new favorite is rice hulls the chickens love them....cost is about the same

thank you all for the reply's. my thinking is pellets would keep the smell down and should be less dusty. the coop will be about 5'x8' with a dirt floor. i will do the deep litter method and am wondering how much 1 40# bag would cover? and how long do you think 1 ton will last me? i plan on around 10 chickens. do you all think pellets would last longer than shaveings or is it the other way around? i would buy the wood pellets by the ton because this company sells them that way. they are bagged in 40# bags. i could pick them up too but delivery would be a lot more easy. i am told 1 40# bag of pellets= 2 to 2 1/2 bales of shaveings, is this true?

Not true, well at least not here, the bales of shavings are huge. next time I put more pellets in the horse stall, I will take pics as I put them down and wet them and then fluff them out. 40 pounds of pellets would equal about a 1/3 of a large bale of shavings I think.

I have used a combination of pellets and shavings the last 3 winters and they have helped with wetness. I put the pellets in dry and put shavings on top. I just cleaned my coop 3 weeks ago & the two bags of pellets are already broken down. I have a problem with condensation on my floor I think & without the pellets, my coop gets wet by mid winter. The pellets have kept my coop fairly dry all winter by turning it & adding shavings from time to time. Pellets do mat if you don't keep them turned, but the combination seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom