shaving from coop used on garden

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All
frow.gif

Does anyone know if I can use the shaving from the coop on my veggie garden?
idunno.gif

I am going to clean the coop tonight and wanted to put them on my garden.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Of course. Most folks with chickens and gardens see the advantage of having manure available.

However, do not put fresh manure on the garden just before or during the growing season. Apply in the off season. Meantime, just pile it up and allow it to compost. Here's a guideline that is easy to understand.

http://umaine.edu/publications/2510e/

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you have to wait with both the shavings and the chicken poo.Both need to aged a bit. I used mine after it aged in a pile over winter/spring,and so far no plants have died to burn.I have one picture uploaded.It has made a great mulch. I just wish I had more!!!

38921_033.jpg

Ok, thank you so much for your reply.
smile.png

My garden is done for the season. So I was going to put the shaving
from my coop directly on my garden this evening and have my husband till
in into the ground. My plants are spent and are going to be tilled with the shavings.

I just wanted to ask before I did this to prevent any illness that could come from it.

Thanks

I think it depends on the concentration. If you have a small coop and clean it often it seems to be ok to use it for mulch immediately. I do it all the time. If you're doing a major cleaning of stuff that's been building up over time, that would need to age and be mixed with other material. Also, root crops probably need the aged compost for the sake of cleanliness.

Hi mamakate, It is a small coop. I clean it about once every month or so. I usually put the
shavings in a bag a throw then away with the garbage.

Since my garden has been harvested I wanted to instead take the shavings and put them on my
garden.

All the chickens are healthy and lively.

Quote:
I don't think there is a problem....if you are through with the garden and it is tilled in it is going to have until next spring to rot. Should give you some good veggies next summer.

Back
Top Bottom