Shavings bedding problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickeninthemeadow, May 7, 2011.

1. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    About a week or two ago, I picked up a new bale of shavings from TSC. It was supposed to be flake.

Today, I cleaned out the brooder and went to put the new shavings into the brooder. It was probably at least 30 % or more dust!

Do shavings decompose/break down when kept long in those big bale bags?

I'm not too worried about the chicks eating it, it was pretty dusty. However, I do worry about inhalation of the dust now that I read another thread.

Should I take the open bag back to TSC and see if they'll exchange it? TSC is about a 30+ minute drive for me, so I'd rather not head out if they aren't going to exchange it. I'll probably just buy shavings from a different feed store next time.

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I would call them first, see what they say and explain the distance you will have to travel. My local TSC is very good, they may well compensate you with an extra bag or 2, but take the old bag back as well if you go......

3. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    I don't think shavings would break down in the bag. Maybe you need to let Tractor Supply know so they can talk to their supplier.

4. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
  5. wayne206

wayne206 New Egg

May 5, 2011
    I'm a newbie here. Great site. I've heard cedar shaving make good bedding. I bought 10 5-day old chicks. I used shredded paper from my shredder for a while. They loved it. They're going on 4wks old now. I have built a 4x8' coop (on legs) w/ screen around it. It was still cool at night so i use a heat bulb. I built section w/ door in the middle and put plastic over the half that they sleep in. The flying bugs are beginning to come out in the evening. I replaced the screen on the door with half inch square wire so the bugs can get in..They go CRAZY chasing them but the bugs don't last long. Thanks, and I really like this site

6. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Quote:I thought I read somewhere cedar was toxic for chickens ?!?!

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:I thought I read somewhere cedar was toxic for chickens ?!?!

It is! NEVER use cedar shavings for chickens!

8. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I don't think Cedar is good to use as shavings for anything. I know it also shouldn't be used for small animals either.
    I too used shredded newspaper (and old phone books) in our chicks until we moved them outside.

9. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:I too picked up a bag earlier this week and it is VERY dusty... I have never noticed because I typically only buy for the horse stalls, but now that we have chickens..... Let us know what they say.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by