Shavings vs. Sand in the coop part of a chicken tractor

JellyBeanCee

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm building a chicken tractor for my future girls and was just wondering what people use in a small space like that, sand or shavings? I'm putting vinyl flooring in the bottom of it and plan to use a poop board under the roost, but with space at a premium in a small chicken tractor (they'll only sleep and lay eggs in it), I don't think I can do the deep litter method. Suggestions? Thanks for your input. This forum has been a great help to me as I plan and build.
big_smile.png

I don't have tractor and my coop is a playhouse style 4x4. I have only 4 hens, RIP Zippy but I like shavings in the coop. I quit using a poop board becuz I find it so much easier to pick the poop up off the shavings every morning, takes no time at all. For your purposes, shavings will be lighter than sand if weight is a concern.

Yeah, the weight is good point. I'd been thinking "Texas - hot - no need to snuggle down into bedding come winter time." And sand is cooler. But the weight would definitely factor in. With a dropping board, it's almost a moot point really, as they'd almost never be inside. You could pretty much get by with nothing down, since you have vinyl flooring and the dropping board.

Back
Top Bottom