She Actaully Did It!!! Good news and Bad news.

Thank you for the great advice everyone
big_smile.png

I will update when all the chicks have arrived and mom starts walking around with them.

Well here is my update as promised.
She ended up hatching 5 chicks, out of 8 eggs, which I thought was pretty good for a first timer.
Actaully the other three are developing, but are not ready to hatch, so I gave them to another broody hen in hopes of saving them.
Anyway mom and babies have just started to walk about a bit, so here are a few pictures . . .
Chicks001-1.jpg

Chicks011.jpg

Chicks020.jpg

Chicks024.jpg

Chicks027.jpg

Sorry if thats to many.
This is my first time to have a hen hatch out her own chicks, and its been so neat to watch.

Lol, thats a good question, their mixed, we have three different roo's, and all different hens.
I think the little brown one with the stripe may be momma's though, so would be part game.
All 5 are different, even the two black ones, they have different markings.

The little yellow one is like the classic chick, so cute
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Oh TOO cute!! I love the dark one with the yellow around it's eyes!
love.gif
I have a hen sitting right now - not on my own eggs as I don't have a roo, but I'm hoping for a few cuties soon!!
fl.gif

Well the good news is when I went into the chicken house tonight to check on mom and the chicks, there was a black snake in with them . . . lol, no thats not the good part.
As soon as mom saw it she started attacking it, pecking and scratching it (I was kinda froze at this point) it slithered away into one of the boxes.
I wasnt exactly sure what to do, I didnt want to pick it up, how would I put it back down again, lol. so . . . I got an axe, and yes I lopped its head off, I was shaking the whole time. I know it sounds kinda mean, but it was after my chickens.

The bad news is
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
I dont think the yellow chick is gonna make it, It looks like its intestines started to come out, and its acting slow/sick, I felt the best thing was just to leave it with mom, where it feels the safest and let nature take its course, I dont think I can do anything for it.

Back
Top Bottom